The following ‘Physical Education and Physical Activity Policy Document’ for Bursley Academy is designed to provide a high quality broad and balanced PE curriculum and daily physical activity opportunities that meets the needs of all pupils throughout Key Stage 2, Key Stage 1 and the Foundation Stage.
- To develop the ethos of the school as a health promoting environment
- To contribute towards the 5 Every Child Matters outcomes of Enjoy and Achieve, Be Healthy, Stay Safe, Make a Positive Contribution and Economic Wellbeing
- To contribute towards the DfES National School Sport Strategy Targets of all children to participate in a minimum of 2 hours high quality PE and Sport per week, and the 2010 vision of 2 hours within and 2 hours beyond the curriculum.
- To use PE, sport and physical activity to bring about whole school improvement through improving attendance, behaviour and attainment of pupils
- To provide high quality opportunities for pupils to be creative, competitive and to face up to different challenges as individuals, in groups, and in teams.
- To develop pupils’ physical competence and confidence in a range of activities, enabling them to become skilful and intelligent performers.
- To promote physical development and co-ordination, and a knowledge of the body in action.
- To develop the ability to plan, perform, and evaluate actions, ideas and performances to improve their quality and effectiveness.
- To develop pupils’ ability to respond to a variety of situations, to select and apply skills, tactics and compositional ideas to suit activities that need different approaches and ways of thinking.
- To promote positive attitudes towards active and healthy lifestyles enabling pupils to make informed choices about the importance of exercise.